Monday, March 06, 2006

This Is America, Charlie Brown!



I just saw this artwork for the new DVD for "This is America, Charlie Brown". This is very nostalgic to me because this series was the first professional drawing job I had in animation waaaaay back in 1989ish. I was inbetween my first and second year at Calarts and I did what they call layout on two of these episodes. Here's the list:

1. The Mayflower Voyagers
2. The Birth of the Constitution
3. The Wright Brothers At Kitty Hawk
4. The NASA Space Station
5. The Building Of The Transcontinental Railroad
6. The Great Inventors
7. The Smithsonian and the Presidency
8. The Music and Heroes of America

I think I worked on the first one with the Mayflower (I remember drawing pilgrams and indians in the Schultz style) ,the 3rd one about the Wright Brothers, and the 4th one about the NASA Space Station. One of them, I think it was the Nasa one, they even gave me a credit at the end! My first one! It was really brief work, about a month or so, and then I had to quit to go back to CalArts. The little bit of trivia that goes with this is that this is the first series that has ADULTS shown in a Charlie Brown special. It's really weird seeing the Peanuts kids interacting with adults.

1 comment:

stephen Silver said...

Tom,

Thought I would say hello, I just picked up your character design book, it is really well done, congratulations!!!!